How to make Swedish Meatballs
- ⅔ pound of ground beef
- ⅓ pound of ground pork
- 2 slices of day-old white bread, crumble them
- ½ container of sour cream
- 2 cups of beef broth, or as much as needed
- 3 tablespoons of all-purposes flour, or as much as needed
- ¼ cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground ginger, optional
- ¼ teaspoon of ground all-spice
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, optional
- 1 whole egg
- 1 small onion, mince
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- ½ cup of heavy cream
1Pre heat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit, or 175° Celcius. Use a small bowl and add the bread in it. Mix the bread with all the cream and set aside for around 10 minutes. The bread should absorb the entire cream in it.
2While waiting, heat a medium skillet and melt a teaspoon of butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for around ten minutes or until it turns brown. Stir to prevent it from burning. Transfer the onion to the mixing bowl and add ginger, all-spice, nutmeg, black pepper, salt, brown sugar, egg, ground pork, and ground beef. Mix them well and lightly mix and add the cream and breadcrumbs.
3Spoon 1 ½ tablespoon of the meat mixture and roll it into 1 meatball. Repeat until you use the entire mixture. Use a large skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the meatballs on the skillet and cook them until they turn brown. It should take around 5 minutes. Flip it often to prevent one side getting burnt. The outside will be brown, but it is still pink on the inside.
3Prepare a baking dish and transfer the brown meatballs into it. Pour over the chicken broth, and cover the dish with foil. When it is ready, bake the meatballs for around 40 minutes or until it gets tender. Take out the dish and place the meatballs into a serving plate.
4Now, let’s make the brown gravy. Transfer the pan drippings to a medium saucepan and heat it over medium heat. Add the flour into the pan and whisk it slowly until it gets smooth. Add the beef broth and mix it slowly. Keep adding the broth until the gravy is around 2 ½ cups. Simmer the gravy and cook for another 5 minutes until it gets thick.
5Before you serve it, add the sour cream and whisk it slowly. Add black pepper and salt to taste. To serve it, place the meatballs on a plate and pour the brown gravy over the meatballs.
follow the directions strictly to cook most delicious Swedish meatballs.
- If you don’t have or don’t like the pork, you can replace it with ground beef.
- For lower calories in Swedish meatballs, replace the breadcrumbs with almond meal.
- For lower calories in gravy, use the mixture of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and water instead of flour. Add the mixture at the end. Stir the gravy and pour the mixture. Stir continuously over low heat until the gravy thickens.
Food Recipe Search is your complete food recipes website.