How to Make Mocha Chip Muffins
- 2 cups of all purposes flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon of coffee instant crystal or granules
- 1 cup of milk
- ⅓ cup of packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon of brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon of packed chocolate frosting
1Pre heat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Prepare regular size of muffin cups, 12 cups should suffice. Grease the bottom with shortening or use paper baking cups. Set aside when it is done.
2Take a medium bowl, and add baking powder, cocoa, flour, and salt. Toss them until well mixed, and then set aside. Take a large bowl and add egg, coffee, oil, milk, and brown sugar. Beat them using wire whisk or fork until even. Slowly add the previous flour mixture. Stir the batter dough until it is moistened. It should be smooth enough to pour but solid enough, not like water or other light liquid.
3Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups. Fill in up to half or ¾ of the height of the cup because it needs rooms to rise. Transfer the cups into the oven and bake for around 18 to 20 minutes. However, considering that each oven can be different, it is important to check on the muffin after 18 minutes. Insert a tooth pick into the muffin. If it gets a little of the batter, it needs more time to be fully baked. If the tooth pick comes out clear, the muffin is ready.
4Take out the muffins and set aside for a while to cool. Meanwhile, take a small bowl and add the chocolate frosting and brewed coffee. Stir until it is mixed evenly. Drizzle the mixture on top of the muffin for garnish and extra taste.
- This recipe uses standard muffin cups with 2 ½ x 1 ¼ inch measurement. If you use smaller size of cups, you may need to reduce the baking time up to 6 minutes faster, or around 12 to 14 minutes. If you use bigger size of muffin cups, make sure to add the baking time with the same order.
- In alternative to instant coffee crystal or granule, it is fine to use the powder one. It is also great to use brewed coffee instead. Use the same measurement to add into the batter. However, many people think the coffee taste is stronger when you use the powder or granule instead of the brewed coffee. Try both on separate batter if you are curios. For fancier option, try to use espresso powder. It is claimed to bring premium coffee taste in the muffins.
- This recipe should do well for original chocolate chip muffin as well. Simply replace the coffee granule or crystal with chocolate powder.
Now your Mocha Chip Muffins is ready to eat.
Food Recipe Search is your complete food recipes website