- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 8 ounces of pepper jack cheese, shred them
- 1 pound of yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut them into an-inc cubes
- 2 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 cup of panko or Japanese breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup of sour cream
- 2 ½ cup of half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of hot sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, mince them
- 2 stalks of celery, chop them fine
- 1 small onion, chop it fine
- 7 tablespoons of unsalted butter, prepare some more for the dish
1Pre heat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Butter a baking dish. You can use around 9 to 13 inch baking dish. Use a large pot and boil salted water in it. Add the macaroni and leave it until it is al dente. Then, drain the macaroni.
2If you are using packaged macaroni, there will be direction on how long you should cook it. However, package direction is often inaccurate or imperfect. Make sure you taste the pasta to decide.
3Al dente is the best texture for pasta. You want the macaroni to get cooked on the outside with a little uncooked part in the middle. It tastes firm when you bite it with your front teeth and you can cut them in half and see the cross.
4Take a large skillet and heat it with medium heat. Add the butter and let it melts. Add the celery and onion, and cook until the onion gets soft. It should be around 5 minutes. Add garlic and the chicken, and cook it for around 2 minutes.
5Add ½ cup of hot sauce and simmer it until it gets a little thickened. Cook for another minute. Set aside.
6Use a saucepan, and add 2 tablespoons of the butter and let it melts with medium heat. Add mustard and flour, and stir it until it gets smooth.
7Add the rest ¼ cup of the hot sauce and the entire half-and-half. Stir them until it gets thick. Add the pepper jack and cheddar cheeses then whisk. Add sour cream, and whisk until it gets smooth.
8Get the baking dish, and spread half of the macaroni in it. Top the layer with the chicken mixture and cover it with the entire remaining macaroni. Pour the entire cheese sauce on top slowly and evenly.
9Take a microwave-safe bowl and add the remaining two tablespoons of butter in it. Microwave the butter until it melts. Add parsley, blue cheese, and panko in it. Stir.
10Spread it on top layer of the macaroni. Bake the macaroni until it gets bubbly or around 30 to 40 minutes. Let it cool for around 10 minutes. Cut the macaroni to pieces and serve.